At the Y, we believe in freely offering the gift of hope to the people in our community who are experiencing or have experienced cancer. LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA allows cancer survivors the opportunity to come to the Y to heal. We provide people facing cancer rehabilitation the opportunity to regain strength and confidence through a safe and encouraging environment. Cancer knows no boundaries, but we believe in the strength of community and that every survivor deserves unconditional support and a chance to become stronger physically, spiritually and mentally.
WHAT IS THE LIVESTRONG®AT THE YMCA PROGRAM?
The YMCA partnered with LIVESTRONG® to provide a safe, supportive environment for cancer survivors to continue their healing and achieve their whole-person health goals. LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA is a free, 12-week program that meets twice per week for 90 minutes and focuses on physical exercise and social activities in a safe, supportive environment for strengthening your whole sense of self. By participating in the LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA program, you can experience:
- Increased energy and ability to do everyday tasks
- Improved muscle mass and strength, flexibility, balance and endurance
- Increased confidence and self-esteem
- Connection with and support from other cancer survivors and experienced, supportive coaches at the Y
Medical studies have shown that moderate levels of appropriate physical activity can reduce fatigue, boost self-esteem and improve muscle strength and physical endurance in individuals following cancer treatment. And cancer survivors themselves are increasingly aware of the positive impact that moderate physical activity, supportive relationships and stress reduction techniques can have on their quality of life. LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA has helped thousands of cancer survivors move beyond cancer in spirit, mind and body.
Just as important, LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA encourages a warm spirit of community – a safe, comfortable place for you to build companionship with others affected by cancer and share stories and inspiration.
DESCRIPTION AND GOALS
- Small group, supportive environment
- 12-week program with two 90-minute sessions per week
- Includes cardiovascular conditioning, strength training, balance, and flexibility exercises
- Held in YMCA Wellness Center and Community Room
- Evaluation includes Functional and Quality of Life assessments before and after participation
- Facilitated by YMCA-certified Instructors
- Includes 12-week Family Membership
Participants in the LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA program are cancer survivors who are over the age of 18 and:
- Are in or out of active cancer treatment,
- Have a strong personal desire to improve their physical health and participation in daily activities,
- Can commit to participation in the 12-weeks of classes, and
- Obtain and submit a Medical Clearance for Participation form.
We understand that some cancer treatment is ongoing, and individuals who feel strong enough to participate during ongoing treatment are welcome to join with medical clearance.
EXPERT, CARING COACHES
LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA staff have been specially trained to work with cancer survivors and patients and follow American College of Sports Medicine and American Cancer Society exercise guidelines. They’re exercise experts who can understand your unique physical needs and concerns and help you address them safely. They’re also relationship builders with the empathy and ability to connect with and develop relationships with and among cancer survivors and their families.
READY TO GET STARTED?
- Starting September 25th
- Monday & Wednesday
- 10:00 am to 11:30 am
- Starting in January
- Date TBA
If you would like to be a part of our cancer survivor program, complete the interest form available at the front desk. An intake interview will then be scheduled prior to starting the program.
To learn more contact Health & Wellness Director, Shannon Lee, at email@example.com
ADDITIONAL LIVESTRONG® RESOURCES
If you would like additional resources or immediate support check out the LIVESTRONG Foundation.