Triathlon Course Details
Swim Course – 300 Meters Swim Course Information
The swim is the first leg of the race and is held in the Waynesboro Area YMCA indoor pool. Participants will swim 300 meters in a snake or serpentine style method, starting with the fastest seeded swimmer, followed by the next fastest swimmer and so on.
Swimmers will line up according to swim time. Please time yourself at 300 Meters before the race so that you can estimate an accurate time. If you estimate your time too fast or too slow, it will hurt your overall time and the others around you. If you are able to, please practice swimming underneath the lane lines at your own pool before race day.
- No Diving
- Swimmers must cross the timing mat, jump in the pool feet first then begin swimming
- No pulling on the lane lines
- No walking or pushing off the floor
- Passing is allowed, but must follow protocol in race packet
- Swimmers must touch the wall at the end of each lap
- Flip turns are permitted
Participants not following the rules will be disqualified from the event. Finishing the race will be permitted, but times will be pulled from the results.
Bike Course – 13 Miles
Bike Course Information
The Bike course is the 2nd leg and is a 13 mile ride that takes participants through neighborhoods, farmland and wooded areas throughout Waynesboro. The bike course is NOT closed to traffic. Racers must obey all traffic laws and use good judgment while on the course. All turns will be marked. Waynesboro Fire Police will be at the major intersections, and certified flaggers will be at smaller intersections.
- Start at the YMCA by exiting left onto 2nd street.
- Cross route 16 to Mickley Ave.
- Right onto Summit Avenue.
- Bear left onto Eastland Road.
- Bear right onto Mountain View Road.
- Turn right onto Northeast Avenue.
- Bear right onto Country Club Road.
- Turn right onto Fish and Game Road.
- Turn Right onto Mentzer Gap Road.
- Turn left onto Brookedale Road.
- Turn left onto Old Forge Road.
- Continue to the bridge at Little Antietam Creek.
- Turn around just beyond the iron bridge and reverse the route back to Northeast Avenue.
- To finish, continue to Eastland Road and make a left.
- Bear Right onto Summit Avenue.
- Turn right onto Mickley Avenue and head back to the YMCA.
Racers are strongly encouraged to drive the bike course prior to race day to know where the turns are. It is the racer’s responsibility to know the course.
- Helmets are required, chin straps must be fastened before leaving the transition area
- Racers must mount and dismount bikes in the marked area near the transition area (will be marked and stationed by a course marshal); failure to do so will result in a time penalty
- Stay to the right, allowing faster riders to pass on the left
- No drafting; leave 3 bikes lengths between you and the person in front of you, failure to comply will result in disqualification
- Riders must obey all traffic laws (coming to a complete stop at stop signs).
- Riders must stay to the right and allow faster riders to pass on the left.
A water station will be available at the turn around on the bike course.
Run Course – 5K (3.1 Miles)
The 5K run is the last leg of the triathlon and will take participants past Waynesboro schools and tree lined neighborhoods. Water stations will be available at the intersection of 3rd Street & Myrtle Avenue and at the turn-around on East 9th Street. In total, runners will run a distance of 3.1 miles (5K). Course marshals will be posted at every major turn with directional signs to indicate the running route.
Racers must have a wrist band to enter the transition area and must wear it throughout the race.
Participants should arrive early to rack the bike in the transition area. All participants must be checked in by 7:15 a.m. and racked in transition by 7:30 a.m., there will be no exceptions. Your transition area bike location is first-come first served, and closes promptly at 7:30 a.m.
Each rack is designed to hold 6 bikes, 3 on each side. Bike are to be racked by placing the seat on the bar, with gear set up on the right side of the front wheel.
A marshal will be posted at the entrance and exit of the transition. No one will be permitted in the transition area without a wristband.
Good Luck to all Racers!