At the Y, we believe in freely offering the gift of hope to the people in our community who are experiencing or have experienced cancer. LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA allows cancer survivors the opportunity to come to the Y to heal. We provide people facing cancer rehabilitation the opportunity to regain strength and confidence through a safe and encouraging environment. Cancer knows no boundaries, but we believe in the strength of community and that every survivor deserves unconditional support and a chance to become stronger physically, spiritually and mentally.
WHAT IS THE LIVESTRONG®AT THE YMCA PROGRAM?
The YMCA partnered with LIVESTRONG® to provide a safe, supportive environment for cancer survivors to continue their healing and achieve their whole-person health goals. LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA is a free, 12-week program that meets twice per week for 90 minutes and focuses on physical exercise and social activities in a safe, supportive environment for strengthening your whole sense of self. By participating in the LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA program, you can experience:
- Increased energy and ability to do everyday tasks
- Improved muscle mass and strength, flexibility, balance and endurance
- Increased confidence and self-esteem
- Connection with and support from other cancer survivors and experienced, supportive coaches at the Y
We are accepting applications for the upcoming cohort!
The next Cohort will begin in the Spring of 2023, JOIN US!
For more information, please email Sarah Santangelo at firstname.lastname@example.org. To apply, please pick up an application packet from Member Services, or print out the following documents at home. After completing the packet, return it to Member Services, and we will contact you to schedule an intake interview.
Click here to read the Program Director’s Welcome Letter
LIVESTRONG AT THE YMCA – Intake Form
Participants in the LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA program are cancer survivors who are over the age of 18 and:
- Are in or out of active cancer treatment,
- Have a strong personal desire to improve their physical health and participation in daily activities,
- Can commit to participation in the 12-weeks of classes, and
- Obtain and submit a Medical Clearance for Participation form.
We understand that some cancer treatment is ongoing, and individuals who feel strong enough to participate during ongoing treatment are welcome to join with medical clearance.
Perhaps this isn’t the program for you but you know someone who it would benefit, if so, please click here to share our flyer
DESCRIPTION AND GOALS
- Small group, supportive environment
- 12-week program with two 90-minute sessions per week
- Includes cardiovascular conditioning, strength training, balance, and flexibility exercises
- Held in YMCA Wellness Center and Functional Training Room
- Evaluation includes Functional and Quality of Life assessments before and after participation
- Facilitated by YMCA-certified Instructors
- Includes a free Family Membership
“The LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA program is unlike any other exercise program because it is strictly for individuals who have battled, or may still be battling, various types of cancer. It allows people to speak about their trials and pain on a level that the rest of the group can actually identify with. Everyone is encouraged to try all of the exercise experiences, with the understanding that you are able to work at your own level – NO PRESSURE. You will also create friendships and meet some wonderful people – at least that is how it was for me! DO IT – YOU’LL LOVE IT!” – Suzanne, Graduate of the LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA Program
“What LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA did for me was help me to realize I could push myself way beyond limits I thought possible. It made me feel better about myself, knowing what I had accomplished with the instructors help. I met new friends, ones that completely understand the struggles I have been through despite what type of cancer and degree. LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA is such a blessing. Thank you for helping me become a strong, more positive me . Thank you Waynesboro Area YMCA for being a place of encouragement and support. I couldn’t have done it without all of you.” – Denise, Graduate of the LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA Program.
THANK YOU to the Waynesboro Area Gala Cancer Auction!
ADDITIONAL LIVESTRONG® RESOURCES
If you would like additional resources or immediate support check out the LIVESTRONG Foundation.